Topics Excluded in Further Reduced Syllabus of ICSE Class 10 for 2021 Exam
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, CISCE (the organization which conducts ICSE Board Exam) has announced some reduction in the syllabus for ICSE Class 10 students appearing for Board Exams this year. However, many students are confused about which topics are actually excluded. In this post, Exam18 lists the topics which students can exclude while studying and revising for this year’s ICSE exam.
(If you are currently in ICSE Class 9 and appearing for Board Exams in 2022, you must refer to the original syllabus as new reduction is not announced for the next academic session yet. )
The Merchant of Venice
- Act 5
Treasure Trove (Poems)
- I know why the Caged Bird Sings – Maya Angelou
- Abou Ben Adhem – Leigh Hunt
Treasure Trove (Stories)
- The Blue Bead – Norah Burke
- All Summer in a Day – Ray Bradbury
No Reduction in the syllabus
- Genetics (All Excluded)
- Chemical Coordination in plants (All Excluded)
Human Anatomy & Physiology
- The Reproductive System (All Excluded)
Work, Force, Power and Energy
- Machines – Lever (All Excluded)
- Multiple image formation by thick Glass, Scattering of Light,
- Power of lens – Simple direct numerical problem, magnifying glass or simple microscope, Location of image and magnification from ray diagram.
- Loudness, pitch, and quality of sound – Characteristics of Sound – loudness and intensity, subjective and objective nature, sound level in db, noise pollution, interdependence of pitch & frequency, quality, and wave forms.
Electricity and Magnetism
- Experimental Verification of Ohms Law, Derivation of expressions for equivalent resistance, Household circuit – house wiring and power distribution, circuit diagrams, two-way switch, staircase wiring.
- Electromagnetism (All Excluded).
- Calorimetry – Simple numerical problem.
- Radioactivity – Nuclear Fission and Fusion.
Study of Acids, Bases and Salts
- Action of dilute acids on salts (All Excluded)
- Methods of Preparation of Normal Salts (All Excluded)
- The metals Lead and Zinc.
Mole Concept and Stoichiometry
- Gay Lussac`s law of combining Volumes; Avogardro`s law (All Excluded)
- Atomicity of Hydrogen, Oxygen, nitrogen & chlorine etc (All Excluded)
- Mole and its relation to mass (All Excluded)
- Simple calculations based on chemical equations (All Excluded)
- Stages involved in Extraction of Metals (All Excluded)
- Alloys – Composition and uses (All Excluded)
Study of Compounds
- Ammonia – Uses of Ammonia, Sulphuric Acid – Manufacture by contact process equations with conditions where application.
- Alcohols (All Excluded), Carboxylic Acids (All Excluded)
Social Studies History
The Indian National Movement (1857-1917)
- The First War of Independence – Consequences.
- Factors leading to the growth of Nationalism – Economic exploitation, repressive colonial policies.
- Second Phase – Brief mention of Surat split of 1907, factors leading to the formation of the Muslim league and its objectives.
Mass Phase of the National Movement (1915-1947)
- Mahatma Gandhi – programme and impact of the movement
- Independence and the partition of India – Cabinet Mission plan (clauses only)
- First World War: Armament Race, Territorial rearrangements, formation of League of Nations.
- Rise of Dictatorship (All Excluded)
- Second World War: Policy of Appeasement, Brief mention of the attack on Pearl Harbour and bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Consequences (Defeat of Axis Powers, Formation of the United Nations and Cold War).
- Non- Aligned Movement (All Excluded)
Mass Phase of the National Movement
- Cabinet Mission Plan (clauses only)
Social Studies Civics
- Speaker – Functions
- Rajya Sabha – Financial judicial, electoral, amendment of the constitution.
- Vice President (All Excluded)
- Prime minister & council of Ministers – functions – policy making, administration, legislative, financial, emergency.
- Supreme Court – Jurisdiction and functions, original, appellate, Revisory, Judicial Review and Court of Record, Endorsement of Fundamental rights, and writs.
- High Court (All Excluded)
- Subordinate Court (All Excluded)
Social Studies Geography
- 6 figure grid reference, hill, valley, ridge/water divide, escarpment, conventional symbols.
Map of India
- Mountains, Peaks & Plateaus – Garo, Khasi, & Jaintia, Mount Kanchenjunga.
- Cities – Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Kochi, Chandigarh, Srinagar, Vishakhapatnam.
- Rivers – Ravi, Chenab, Beas, Gandak, Kosi, Son, Damodar.
- Water Bodies – Palk Strait, Andaman Sea, Wular Lake.
- Passes – Nathu-la Passes.
- Latitudes and Longitudes – Tropic of Cancer.
- Direction of Winds – Western Disturbances.
- Soil Distribution – Laterite and Red soil
- Distribution of Minerals – Digboi, iron – Singhbhum.
Mineral and energy resources
- Natural gas, Bauxite, Hydel power, geothermal
- Types of Farming in India: subsistence and commercial: shifting, intensive, extensive, plantation and mix.
- Crops excluded – Millets, Oil seeds – groundnut & soya bean, Jute, and coffee.
- Agro-based – Silk.
- Mineral-based – Bhilai, Vishakhapatnam
- Impact of waste Accumulation (All Excluded)
- Shares and Dividends – (All Excluded)
- Ratio and Proportion – Direct simple applications on proportions only
- Geometric Progression – (All Excluded)
- Arithmetic Progression – Simple applications (word problems)
- Co-ordinate geometry – Equation of a line – Conditions for two lines to be parallel or perpendicular.
- Similarity – as a size transformation, Direct Applications
- Loci – (All Excluded)
- Circles – Tangent and Secant Properties – If two circles touch, the point of contact lies on the straight line joining their centers, If two chords intersect internally or externally then the product of the lengths of segments are equal, If a chord and a tangent intersect externally then the product of the lengths of segments of the chord is equal to the square of the lengths of the tangent from the point of contact to the point of intersection.
- Constructions – (All Excluded)
- Sphere – (All Excluded)
- Computation of Mean by any one method.
- Kaki – Siyaram Sharan Gupta
- Apna Apna Bhagya – Jainendra Kumar,
- Sandeh – Jaishankar Prashad,
- Jamun Ka Ped – Krishna Chander.
- Giridhar ki Kundliyaan – Giridhar Kavirai,
- Bhichhuk – Surya Kant Tripathi ‘Nirala’,
- Matri Mandir Ki Or – Subhadra Kumari Chauhan
- Mahabharat Ki Ek Sanjh – Bharat Bhushan Agrawal
Theory of Demand and Supply
- Law of Demand and Supply (All Excluded) Just study the meaning, concept, and types.
- Elasticity of Demand and Supply (All Excluded)
Banking in India
- Monetary policy of the central bank (All Excluded)
- Inflation (All Excluded) Just study the meaning of it.
- Types of Inflation (All Excluded)
- Double Dimensional Arrays – (All Excluded),
- Sorting techniques – Bubble sort, Binary search
- Implementation of string class methods, string array.
- Programs based on all methods, extracting and modifying characters of a string, alphabetical order of the strings in an array, searching for a string using linear search technique.
Topics excluded in Commercial Studies
Finance and Accounting
- Cost and Budgeting under final accounts for Sole Proprietorship
- Budgeting (All Excluded)
Government initiatives in Environment Protection
Factors of Production
- Land – Factors affecting productivity of land.
- Labour – Efficiency of labour – meaning, reasons for low efficiency of Indian labour
- Entrepreneur – Role of entrepreneurs in economic development, Destruction of Eco system
Alternative market structure
- Monopsony Market
The state and Economic Development
- The state and Economic Development – Monetary policy,
- Public sector – role and problems.
Money and Banking
- Impact of inflation on debtors and creditors
State and Economic Development
- Role of state in Promoting development, Issue of Privatization of Public Enterprises.